Résumé Checklist and Examples
Paper Résumé Checklist
- Are required sections present (header, education, and experience)?
- Does the heading include your full name, address, and complete telephone number?
- Does the résumé contain an appropriately worded career objective (if used)?
- Are both education and experience sections presented in reverse chronological order?
- Did you give the degree earned, the year it will be earned, the name of the college, the city, and the state for all colleges attended?
- Did you state the correct degree earned (for example, BS [or B.S.] in Business with a Management concentration)?
- Is the GPA listed if it is at least 3.0/4.0?
- Did you list the position or job title, organization name, city, state, and work dates for each of the jobs you have held since high school?
- Did you list a company only once (grouping work dates together), even if you returned to work for that company several times at several jobs?
- Are enough positive details given about both education and experience to present you positively?
- When giving details, did you cite specific accomplishments?
- Are details tailored to the needs of the specific company and the job for which you are applying?
- Did you use action verbs when giving details?
- Did you focus on achievements in the last three to five years?
- Is the information completely factual and truthful?
- Are items in lists parallel?
- Did you place items on the page or in lists, remembering that the beginning and end are points of emphasis?
- Is more space given to the central selling point (education, experience, or skills) than to less important factors?
- Did you include at least two long or three short items under each heading (not required for the education and experience headings)?
- Is the overall appearance of the résumé sharp and attractive?
- Is the résumé at least one full page long?
- If the résumé goes to two pages, do you have at least ten lines of information on that page?
- Is the résumé perfect in spelling, word usage, and other areas of grammatical correctness?
- Can your most important qualifications be seen in 30 seconds or fewer?
- Did you omit any personal information such as age, height, weight, marital status, or hobbies?
- Are unusual items such as collegians and Christian service stated in terms anyone will understand?
- Does the wording contain no first- or second-person pronouns?
- Did you leave any mention of salary off of your résumé?
- Did you avoid the statement “References available upon request”?
Electronic Résumé Checklist
- Is a keyword summary placed at the top of the page immediately under the heading?
- Does the keyword summary contain keywords pertaining to each of the following: the job field or title you are seeking, work experience and job titles held, essential skills including computer skills, industry jargon and buzzwords that apply to you, education and degrees, and personality traits?
- Are nouns used to describe job skills and qualifications rather than the action verbs used in a traditional résumé?
- Is a standard typeface and size of type used?
- Is the right margin unjustified?
- Are all graphics, boxes, borders, underlining, and italics eliminated?
- Is all of the text in one column rather than two?