Articles of Faith
- We believe that the Bible is the
verbally inspired and infallible, authoritative Word of God and that God
gave the words of Scripture by inspiration without error in the original autographs.
God promises that He will preserve His Word; Jesus said, “My words
shall not pass away” (Matt. 24:35). We believe that God has kept that promise by
preserving His infallible Word in the traditional Hebrew and Greek manuscripts
and that the Authorized Version (KJV) is an accurate English translation of the
preserved Word of God.
- We believe that there is one triune God, eternally existent in the persons of Father, Son (Jesus Christ), and Holy Spirit; these three are one in essence, but distinct in person and function.
- We believe that Jesus Christ, the Second Person of the Trinity, became for mankind the physical manifestation of the Godhead. The earthly genealogy
of Jesus may be traced through Joseph’s line to Abraham (Matt. 1:1–16) and through Mary’s line to Adam (Luke 3:23–38). We believe in His
virgin birth, sinless life, miracles, vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, and His bodily resurrection.
- We believe in the burial, bodily Resurrection of Jesus Christ from the tomb, and His ascension into Heaven (1 Cor. 15:1–4).
- We affirm that the Holy Spirit is the Third Person of the Trinity, the Agent of conviction, regeneration, indwelling,
baptism, sanctification, and illumination of all who are born into
God’s family through Jesus Christ. We are opposed to the charismatic
movement and its sign manifestations, such as speaking in tongues.
- We believe that God created the heavens and the earth in six literal days, and that God created all life (Gen. 1). We reject the man-made theory of evolution occurring over millions of years and
believe that the earth is approximately 6,000 years old. We believe that God created man in His own image, but man chose to sin. Hence, all persons inherit a depraved
nature and are lost sinners in need of salvation.
- We believe that God created man
and woman in His image and instituted marriage between one biological man and one biological woman (Gen. 2:18–24). Marriage is a sacred, exclusive union between a man and woman and serves as a picture of Christ’s relationship with the church (Matt. 19:3–12, Eph. 5:22–33). We believe that God has commanded that sexual activity be exclusively reserved to a man and a woman who are legally married to each other; and that Scripture forbids any form of sexual immorality including adultery, fornication, homosexuality, bestiality, incest, and use of pornography (Matt. 5:27–28, 15:18–20; 1 Cor. 6:9, 18, 7:1–5; Heb. 13:4).
- We believe that Christ’s blood, shed on Calvary, is the only Atonement for man’s sin (1 Pet. 1:18–19, 1 John 1:9,
John 14:6). We believe that salvation is a free gift of God for “whosoever will”; it is by grace, through faith, plus nothing, and believers are eternally secure. Salvation is received only by personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and His finished work. “Whosoever will” may come to Christ; God does not pre-elect persons to heaven or hell.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of the body of Christ, called the Church. It is composed of all born-again believers who have by faith accepted Jesus Christ as Savior (Eph. 2:8–22, 3:1–21,
4:4–16, 5:23–32). God has ordained the local church for the perpetuation of His truth and work in the world. The two ordinances of the local church are
baptism by immersion and a regular observance of the Lord’s Supper by believers.
- We believe the Scripture regarding Satan, who rebelled against God and was cast out of heaven with a host of angels
who followed him (Isa. 14:13–14). He introduced sin to Adam and Eve
in the garden of Eden (Gen. 3:1–13). He continues to turn people from truth
and against God (1 Pet. 5:8). Eternal hell was created for Satan, his demons,
and people who do not believe in the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation (Rev. 20:15, Matt. 25:41, John 3:16).
- We believe that the believer is called to a life of consecration which requires increasing in the knowledge of Christ and growing in grace (Col. 1:10, 2 Pet. 3:18, John 15:4–5).
- We believe that the will of God for all believers is to give evidence of sanctification through being honorable in all relations with others (Rom. 12:1–2, 1 Thess. 4:3, James 1:27).
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost: those that are saved unto the resurrection of eternal life in heaven, and those that are lost unto the resurrection of eternal damnation in
a literal lake of fire.
- We believe in the imminent, pre-Tribulation return of Jesus Christ for all believers. The Rapture of the saints will be followed by a seven-year
Tribulation, after which Christ will return in glory to judge the world and
set up His millennial reign on earth.
These Articles of Faith do not exhaust the extent of beliefs or practices of Pensacola Christian College. The Bible, as the inspired and infallible Word of God, is the final authority of all that we believe concerning truth, morality, and the proper conduct of mankind. For the purposes of the College’s doctrine, practice, policy, and discipline, the Board of Directors is ultimately responsible for interpreting the meaning and application of Scripture.
Without meaning to be unfriendly or unkind, we feel it only fair to say that Pensacola Christian is not a part of the “tongues movement” and does not allow students to participate in or promote any charismatic activities, nor do we permit students to promote hyper-Calvinism.
Pensacola Christian College is committed to the plenary, verbal inspiration of the Bible, and it is our practice to use only the Authorized Version (KJV) in the pulpit and in classroom instruction. We believe the Textus Receptus is a superior text, and it is used for Greek instruction.
The College serves a constituency of churches across America which is primarily independent Baptist. Faculty, staff, and students attend Campus Church, which operates on campus as an independent Baptist church in both faith and practice.