Elementary Education Major—Early Childhood Concentration, Bachelor of Science Degree
See also Elementary Education Major
Give Young Children a Strong Foundation
Those who plan to work exclusively with children second grade and under may wish to choose the early childhood concentration of the elementary education major. With an emphasis on working with nursery, preschool, and lower elementary children, students experience superb training which culminates in a valuable internship at Pensacola Christian Academy.
Observing and working with the experienced teachers at PCC’s on-campus nursery and at Pensacola Christian Academy, early childhood education students prepare to teach knowledge, character, and skills to even the youngest children. Students also learn how to start and administer a nursery, daycare, or preschool.
PCC’s education graduates are effective, caring teachers with a heart for training the next generation.
The purpose of the early childhood concentration is to prepare students to teach in a Christian early childhood program by equipping them with a Christian-traditional philosophy of subject content and teaching methods, practical teaching skills, and a servant’s heart.
Graduates of the early childhood concentration will be able to
- apply a Christian-traditional philosophy of education to content and methods of teaching in early childhood classes;
- demonstrate competency in early childhood subject content;
- demonstrate proficiency in the use of methods and materials appropriate for the Christian-traditional early childhood classroom;
- organize, establish, and manage an effective learning environment;
- demonstrate knowledge of the learner with ability to teach him;
- teach effectively in a Christian early childhood program;
- integrate biblical Christian values in teaching; and
- exhibit the professional qualities required of successful teachers.
Recommended Course Sequence
- Christian school teacher
- Nursery or kindergarten administrator
- School administrator
- Public speaker
- Daycare director
- Homeschool teacher
PCC prepared me by having teaching classes that taught me how to be a prepared and organized teacher. Student teaching at the Academy was an excellent opportunity to learn from seasoned teachers while still having the opportunity to compare experiences with the other student teaching peers.
The internship helped prepare me by allowing me to get in an actual classroom and see how things were done. All children are not the same, and they don’t all behave and react the same way. It was the perfect opportunity to see how seasoned teachers handled situations with different children. I also had the opportunity to try those very same things myself and could talk to those same teachers for advice.