Elementary Education Major—Bachelor of Science Degree
See also Early Childhood Education
Equip Young Minds
A child’s education during the elementary years is a vital part of his development. Teachers must be creative, experienced, knowledgeable, and discerning in order to give elementary students the strong beginning they need.
PCC’s reputation for producing excellent, prepared teachers with a heart for service places education graduates in high demand at Christian schools. Their training enables them to enter the classroom the first day confident and capable, prepared and professional.
Gaining a solid foundation of biblical philosophy during their freshman year, education students become skilled thinkers, able to analyze and evaluate educational trends in light of God’s Word. Rather than experimenting with unproven teaching techniques, PCC’s education students master tried-and-true traditional methods to succeed in the classroom by learning what genuinely works.
Observing and working with master teachers at Pensacola Christian Academy (PCA) throughout college provides education students with insight into how a well-run Christian school operates. They also develop confidence by teaching both their peers and PCA students.
Senior education students complete their teaching internship at PCA under the supervision of a master teach to solidify their classroom management and teaching skills. The knowledgeable and caring faculty, thorough training, and extensive teaching experiences make PCC education graduates well-prepared, effective teachers for their first year and beyond.
The purpose of the elementary education major is to prepare students to teach in a Christian elementary program by equipping them with a Christian-traditional philosophy of subject content and teaching methods, practical teaching skills, and a servant’s heart.
Graduates of the elementary education program will be able to
- apply a Christian-traditional philosophy of education to content and methods of teaching in elementary classes;
- demonstrate competency in elementary-level subject content;
- demonstrate proficiency in the use of methods and materials appropriate for the Christian-traditional elementary classroom;
- organize, establish, and manage an effective learning environment;
- demonstrate knowledge of the learner with ability to teach him;
- teach effectively in a Christian elementary program;
- integrate biblical Christian values in teaching; and
- exhibit the professional qualities required of successful teachers.
Recommended Course Sequence
- Christian school teacher
- School administrator
- Church ministry
I think that the educational program at PCC is truly top notch. When I first started teaching, I never felt unprepared to handle any task thrown my way. I have thoroughly enjoyed being a teacher, but especially a teacher at a Christian school. Being able to share my faith with my students is important to me. My absolute favorite part about teaching is knowing that I have made a difference in a child’s life.