Secondary Education Major—Science Concentration, Bachelor of Science
See also Biology Secondary Education
Properly trained Christian school science teachers can help revive high school students’ interest in the sciences. With a variety of math and science courses, PCC’s program introduces future science teachers to the biblical philosophies and practical application of general science, biology, chemistry, physics, algebra, trigonometry, and other disciplines. The program also provides instruction in understanding how students learn and develop, which helps science education students build effective communication skills and teaching methods for their future classrooms. The need for Christians in the ever-expanding field of science is great; and knowledgeable, articulate teachers can train a new generation of scientists to accurately study and apply God’s scientific principles to man’s needs.
The purpose of the secondary education major is to prepare students to teach in a Christian school by equipping them with a Christian-traditional philosophy of subject content and teaching methods, practical teaching skills, and a servant’s heart.
Students in the secondary education science concentration must also choose a second teaching field.
Graduates of the secondary education program will be able to
- apply a Christian-traditional philosophy of education to purposes, content, and methods of teaching;
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of subject content unique to their selected concentration and second teaching field;
- demonstrate proficiency in the use of methods and materials appropriate for the traditional secondary classroom;
- organize, establish, and manage an effective learning environment;
- demonstrate knowledge of the learner with ability to teach him;
- teach effectively in a Christian junior high or high school;
- integrate biblical Christian values in teaching; and
- exhibit the professional qualities required of successful teachers.
Recommended Course Sequence
Sophomore Course Sequence
- Christian school teacher
- School administrator
- Public speaker
- Church ministry
My science education degree gave me a view of science that does not contradict God’s Word. In fact, God’s Word is the center of my classroom! The intensive, core subject emphases on chemistry, physics, and biology were necessary to help me know my subject well. As a science education student, I had the privilege to watch godly teachers model the lecture/demonstration method of teaching well. It is this lecture/demonstration method that has my students glued to the content of the lessons I teach. As they continue to ask more questions, they learn a little bit more about God’s beautiful design in this world. And they love it!