Secondary Education Major—Mathematics Concentration, Bachelor of Science
See also Mathematics Major
As God’s absolute and universal language of order, analysis, and logic, mathematics fuels almost every area of practical and professional life. Traditional mathematics combines application with theory, requiring students to exercise their ability to analyze and predict complex equations. In this essential academic study, PCC’s mathematics education concentration prepares future math teachers to train their students to understand and apply mathematics for practical problem solving.
The purpose of the secondary education major is to prepare students to teach in a Christian school by equipping them with a Christian-traditional philosophy of subject content and teaching methods, practical teaching skills, and a servant’s heart.
Students in the secondary education mathematics concentration must also choose a second teaching field.
Graduates of the secondary education program will be able to
- apply a Christian-traditional philosophy of education to purposes, content, and methods of teaching;
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of subject content unique to their selected concentration and second teaching field;
- demonstrate proficiency in the use of methods and materials appropriate for the traditional secondary classroom;
- organize, establish, and manage an effective learning environment;
- demonstrate knowledge of the learner with ability to teach him;
- teach effectively in a Christian junior high or high school;
- integrate biblical Christian values in teaching; and
- exhibit the professional qualities required of successful teachers.
Recommended Course Sequence
- Christian school teacher
- School administrator
- Public speaker
- Church ministry
The math courses that I took at PCC gave me the tools to teach math courses on the high school level. Having the opportunity to teach students at PCA during my internship allowed me to learn how to explain concepts on a level that students could understand while also building my heart for teaching. Looking back at my time at PCC, I can see how God used each class to prepare me to teach mathematics from a Christian perspective by giving me not only the math foundation to be able to teach the concepts; but also the spiritual foundation to see God’s handiwork in His creation as I study math.