Safety and Security
Pensacola Christian College encourages all members of the campus community to report illegal or unethical conduct. The following guidelines will help ensure the security of you and your belongings:
- To enter your residence hall, tap your PCC Card at the exterior door, then show your card to the lobby attendant. Your PCC Card also gives you access to your residence hall room. Roommates, RAs, and authorized college personnel also have access to the room.
- Residence halls are locked between 10:25 p.m. (11:25 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays) and 5:30 a.m. (7 a.m. on Sundays). For safety purposes, students should not assist anyone in entering the residence hall during this time. Those who need access to the residence hall may do so through Safety and Security (850-479-6595) when there is no lobby attendant.
- If you are locked out of your room, contact roommates/suitemates or your RAs. You may also contact Safety and Security at 4357 (HELP) to unlock the room ($5 charge to your account).
- If you lose your PCC Card, go to the PCC Card Office (AC 113) during office hours for a replacement (charged to your college account). On weekends or evenings, if you need a replacement card, you may get one from the Information Desk. Any funds will be transferred to your new card, and your old card will be deactivated.
- If the fire alarm sounds, exit the building immediately using the nearest stairway. Do not use elevators.
- The fire evacuation route is posted on the back of your room door.
- If you discover smoke or fire in any facility, remain calm, pull the closest alarm, and evacuate the building.
- Never attempt to fight a fire yourself.
- Fire drills are conducted in the residence halls each semester.
- To reduce risk of fire and conserve electricity, lights and fans, hot pots, hair-care items, and irons must be turned off when no one is in the room.
- Appliances with a heating element [traditional coffee maker, toaster oven, hot plate, grill, induction cookware, candle warmer, etc.] or items with an open flame are unsafe and not permitted.
- Hazardous items are not allowed.
- Power strips that connect to the outlet by an electrical cord are permitted; however, electrical outlet multipliers that plug directly into the outlet are not allowed.
Security and Privacy
The College recognizes a student’s rights and need for security and privacy. The following guidelines are to help ensure your security and privacy in the residence hall, your college home away from home.
- Guests must sign in at the residence hall desk and be escorted by the student they are visiting. Guests should sign out and leave when the building closes.
- Babysitting in residence halls is not allowed. Children 6 years of age or older should not be taken into the residence halls of the opposite gender.
- No horseplay, running, or excessive noise is permitted in the residence hall.
- Paintball guns may not be kept in residence hall rooms.
- Do not prop open room doors or alter lock mechanisms.
- Do not enter another residence hall room unless an occupant of that room is present.
- Do not prop open the exterior doors.
- Room windows must remain locked; close room blinds before sunset.
- Men may not be in women’s residence halls, and women may not be in men’s residence halls.
Protection of Personal Possessions
- Record serial numbers of valuable items.
- We recommend that you store your valuables in a small lockbox.
- Secure your laptop with a password and small locking device.
- Do not leave personal belongings in the hallway or stairwells.
- Borrowing without permission will be dealt with as stealing.
- Show respect for others’ property. Do not handle another student’s possessions without permission.
- The College does not take responsibility for items left at residence hall lobby desks or other areas.