Visual Arts Major—Studio Art Concentration, Bachelor of Science Degree
See also Graphic Design
Art Training for Today’s Market
Art is everywhere—not only in galleries and museums, but also in books and magazines, on billboards and packages, and on webpages and mobile devices. This immense art market provides countless opportunities for skilled artists and designers to paint, illustrate, and design for a living. PCC’s studio art concentration prepares students for today’s market by teaching traditional art principles that lead to technically sound, God-honoring artwork for both the commercial and fine art fields.
PCC’s program emphasizes traditional principles with high standards for draftsmanship and aesthetics. Students begin by developing essential drawing and painting skills and later move on to study advanced drawing, painting, and illustration methods passed down from masters of the past. Training in traditional media such as watercolor, acrylic, oil, and mixed media is combined with skills development in digital painting and illustration using Wacom digital graphics tablets in order to provide a well-balanced experience for the increasingly diverse studio art field. Creativity is developed alongside technique in order to prepare students to express ideas clearly and skillfully.
The program includes internships in the field and courses to develop digital portfolios and self-promotional materials for potential employers. With the senior portfolio exhibit, students complete the program and showcase their best work.
The purpose of the studio art concentration is to produce Christian artists who are able to effectively communicate in the areas of studio art and illustration.
Graduates of the studio art concentration will be able to
- articulate a distinctly Christian-traditional philosophy of art,
- recognize historical trends in artistic theory and practice,
- demonstrate technical proficiency in the use of appropriate media,
- develop visual compositions using traditional design principles,
- create visual works that communicate a clear message,
- use professional research and development processes to solve visual problems,
- exhibit professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in their chosen field of art and design, and
- develop a body of work demonstrating strength in representational drawing and painting and visual storytelling in a variety of media sufficient for pursuing professional opportunities in studio art and illustration fields.
Students enrolled in 300- or 400-level art courses are required to own a personal laptop for use in class. An Adobe Creative Cloud subscription is also required. Laptop specifications must meet minimum Adobe Creative Cloud system requirements.
Recommended Course Sequence
- Art director
- Fine artist
- Portrait painter
- Art teacher
- Graphic designer
PCC’s art program provides a strong foundation in the principles of representational art to build a career upon. I put PCC’s art program on par with most well-known art schools in the country, but at a fraction of the cost.